Sunday, November 14, 2010

Redemption - Oatmeal Shortbread Santas

It's been awhile since I've baked something (not including birthday cupcakes)

(which were pretty tasty btw)

and I found a tube of cookie dough in the fridge, so I made it.

It felt like cheating.

I needed to bake for real to redeem myself.

I saw this picture in a magazine, and figured it seemed like a good project...



They are rolled cookies. Usually I have NO luck with rolled cookies. They always stick, the dough is too soft, they misshape... but, I was up for the challenge.

The recipe is simple:

Here's what you need:

2/3 c. Butter or Margarine, softened
1/2 c. Packed brown sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 c.    All Purpose flour
3/4 c. Quick-cooking Oats
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder

I know what you're thinking, I forgot the egg. Nope. No egg. I checked the recipe 3 times. Definitely, no egg.

To decorate you need white frosting (because it's from a Betty Crocker magazine they say to use "Betty Crocker Easy Flow white decorating icing"), red sprinkles, red and blue (or whatever color you want) smarties/m&m's.

I couldn't find the said "easy flow icing", but I did find:



Wilton Decorating Icing, which let me tell you, was super handy. Since it is a Wilton product, you can attach Wilton decorating tips RIGHT TO THE TUBE! I love it.

Anyways...
To make the cookies:

In a large bowl beat butter, brown sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer until creamy. Stir in flour, oats, and baking powder. Gather dough into ball. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for 30 mins.

Heat oven to 350°. On a well floured surface, roll dough 1/4" thick. Cut with 3" heart-shaped cookie cutter. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 8-10 minutes, or until edges are light golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack. Cool completely before decorating.


The trick to get them not to stick is definitely the flour. LOTS and LOTS of flour. Flour on the surface, flour on the rolling pin, flour on your hands. Flour. Also, I rolled them out on a silicone baking sheet which also seemed to help, and made for a way easier clean up.

And then comes the fun part. Decorating.

When you're done, it should look something like this...

No comments:

Post a Comment