Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Mis-adventures of the cookie press

I was grocery shopping the other day (at a large grocery store that starts with "S" and ends with "store"), when I came across a cookie press thinking, "How hard could it be, you put the dough in, you press it out..." So, I put it in my cart and brought it home.

It came with alot of discs, and some icing tips...


Went online, found a recipe (because apparently the dough consistency has to be different).
Made the dough, put it in the press, and got started.

This cookie press was not good... or maybe I was using it wrong... but I'm going with it was not good.

I pressed out the dough, ALOT came out... I couldn't figure out how it was going to make 8 dozen cookies like the recipe called for. I mananged to get 8 out of the press, and baked them. They didn't look quite right... but they tasted good :)

Took the first 8 out of the oven, went to press a few more, and the press didn't work. I'm not sure what happened... but I wasn't happy. So, I put the kids to bed, came back and played around with the press abit longer. Ok. Definitely something wrong.

Day 2:

I drove to the craft store, aaannnndddd... bought a NEW cookie press. By Wilton. If it's Wilton it has to be decent, right?



Right :)

Made some more dough, put it into the press:





Let me tell you, these are MUCH prettier than the ones I made with the first press. You can actually tell what shape these ones are.

Into the oven... and 8 minutes later...


SUCCESS!!

Want to make some?


  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour



  • 1 teaspoon baking powder



  • 1 1/2 cups butter softened



  • 1 cup granulated sugar



  • 1 egg



  • 2 tablespoons milk



  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract



  • Preheat oven to 350°. In bowl, combine flour and baking powder. In large bowl, beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg, milk, and vanilla; mix well. Gradually add  flour mixture to butter  mixture; beat until combined. Do not chill. Fill cookie press with dough and with desired disks, press cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet.
    
    Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Let cool for two minutes before moving to cooling rack.

    You can find different varieties of the recipe here:
    Wilton

    No comments:

    Post a Comment